Q: I have an engine knock and my oil pressure guage is reading high, then stops shortly after starting to drive.

Have an engine knock. Started a few weeks ago after an oil change. On start up the engine would knock and the oil pressure guage was up to 80 once the truck ran for awhile it would come back to normal (around 40) and the knock would stop. I drained the oil again and changed the filter and saw the filter had a defect that was limiting the oil flow. Put a new filter on and fresh oil with some lucas oil treatment. Ran great for 2 weeks now the knock is back again. And like before after it runs for a little bit it goes away.

Hello, You may want to inspect your oil pump to see if it may not be causing the problem. If it is not pumping or circulating oil properly, it may also cause this type of increase in oil pressure that may be sporadic as you describe. When you first start the engine, the oil pump needs to work a bit harder than normal at first the get the oil circulated through the motor to all of the places it needs to go as the oil is much thicker when it is cold. As the engine warms up, the oil becomes thinner and flows a bit easier, which may be what causes the pressure to come back down once it is warmed up. Please feel free to reach out to us here at YourMechanic or schedule an appointment to have one of our qualified mechanics come to your location to diagnose and inspect your truck.

3. I have an engine knock and my oil pressure guage is reading high, then stops shortly after starting to drive.