Q: I have an 08 lexus rx350, i hear a clunking at low speed on uneven road. I checked the rear wheel by shaking and I feel some free

asked by on July 04, 2017

My car makes a loud clunking usually at low speed on uneven road. I checked the left rear tire and when I shake it with two hands I feel some movement, the other wheels have no free play - is this the possible cause of the noise and what is the possible problem.

What you are describing sounds like a failing CV joint. A CV (Constant Velocity) joint is a shaft that connects the transmission to the wheels, essentially transferring the power from the drive train directly to the wheels. The CV joint is packed with a special grease and sealed tight with the rubber or plastic boot, that is held in place with two clamps. The most common problem with the CV joints is when the protective boot cracks or gets damaged. Once this happens, the grease comes out and moisture and dirt get in, causing the CV joint to wear faster and eventually fail due to lack of lubrication and corrosion. When the CV joint becomes damaged or worn, you may hear a clicking, clunking or popping sound coming from this area as the weight of the vehicle puts pressure on this area and shifts back and forth and side to side. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.