Q: I have a z71 that has been using regular oil, can I change to synthetic oil? Is there a benefit?

I just bought a Chevy 4x4 LTZ Z71. The prior owner has been using regular oil. Can I change to synthetic oil and what are the benefits to do so. We live in the up state of South Carolina where the summer reach 95-100 degrees and the winters get down into the single digits. It has a 5.3L V-8 with 115,000 miles on it.

You can change over to synthetic oil without a problem as long a you still use the recommended weights.

The advantage of a synthetic oil is you can extend the oil change about 1500 miles as long as you are not burning too much oil and keep it at the correct level with the same oil. Synthetic oil, depending on who makes it, may have better qualities and advantages over conventional oils.

If you’d like to have your oil serviced, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home or office to do so.

• I have a z71 that has been using regular oil, can I change to synthetic oil? Is there a benefit?