Q: I have a brand new starter installed in a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l V8 magnum and it only clicks I have also replaced the relay wha

asked by on March 14, 2018

It has a brand new starter and when i turn the key while it is getting jumped it only clicks once and then is done. What should I do i have also replaced the starter relay so that is not the problem.

Hi Jasper. Thanks for contacting us tonight. There are several possible sources of this issue. The most common is the starter relay being damaged, but if you’ve replaced it, you can remove that from the equation. The second would be a lack of cranking amps, but if you’re jump-starting the vehicle with a running vehicle, this might not be the issue either. After that, a faulty installation, loose or bad ground wire connection or a faulty starter solenoid is likely the source. You can also check the ignition relay as well.