Q: I have a around 1991 Camry Toyota LE I bought st an auction someone who previously owned put a self alarm with no brand name

asked by on February 07, 2018

I bought my Camry LE at the auction previous owner installed a car alarm with no brand name this alarm is draining my battery keeps having me take it and charge it at autozone. I tried taking/unplugged the system alarm but when I do that the car won’t start I could hear the fans turns on but it’s like it won’t let my engine start. Any help here please !!

Electrical components are not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The 1991 Camry offered a factory alarm option which appears on the vehicle wiring diagrams. It was referred to as the TVSS system (Toyota vehicle security system). First, be sure that what is installed on your car is not just simply the factory alarm option in which case you can use the factory wiring diagram to diagnose and resolve the issue. If you have the factory option, the controller is underneath the front seat and will be clearly marked as a Toyota module (it’s a sizable square box, possibly grey). If you are sure you have an aftermarket unit (but don’t have the original instructions), you can still successfully remove the unit because it will be wired similar to, or identical to, the factory option and so you need only consult the factory diagram to uninstall it. Before doing anything though be sure the alarm is actually the origin of the phantom load; it may very well be that a fault elsewhere, in another circuit, accounts for the phantom load. Obviously, if you can fix a circuit elsewhere that will save you the trouble of removing the alarm system. If you want this resolved in total by a certified mechanic, please request an electrical component/circuit diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.