Q: I have a 2014 VW Jetta. I am having a overheating problem only when AC is on.

asked by on September 20, 2017

I have a 2014 VW Jetta. I am having a overheating problem only when AC is on. The fan comes on, but is vibrating, and eventually it overheats. I was thinking new fan, or AC condenser, but AC blows cold with no apparent issues. Any ideas?

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

A couple of things come to mind. One there could be a buildup of debris between the condenser and the radiator. You might not be able to see it from either side, but if you loosen the fasteners that hold the condenser to the radiator you might find a mat of leaf debris between them. Cleaning that out could solve your problem. Another thing I’ve seen a couple of times is that the fan was installed incorrectly. This would only have happened if someone had been working on your radiator or fan, but if the fan was hooked up incorrectly and runs backwards, it will prevent air from moving over the condenser and radiator when you are moving forward: far fetched, but I’ve seen it happen more than once. There are other possibilities, but they will require test equipment to investigate. To have this done at your convenience, you can contact YourMechanic. They will send a technician to your home or office to check out your overheating problem and recommend a solution.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr