Q: I have a 2012 Dodge Charger R/T AWD and I have check engine light issues

asked by on May 17, 2017

I have a 2012 Dodge Charger R/T AWD and recently it has been in and out of the dealership shop for the past 3 weeks for check engine light diagnostics. First they replaced the distributor solenoids and replaced all the spark plugs. The car ran fine for a few days after that but then it started having issues starting up and the light quickly came back on so I took it back to the dealership. Different codes came up and they replaced the crank and camshaft sensors, the car ran well for less then 12 hours and the light came back on again. Could there be a bigger issue that is frying all of these electronics?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The long list of potential issues that cause hard-starts and misfires is profound. Without knowing exactly what diagnostic codes the dealership was pulling from the check engine light, it is impossible to narrow down the culprits for you. If you can inform us what the latest codes are, we can have a better idea of what the issues may be. The codes can change just by putting the key in the ignition, as this is when the vehicle starts running self-tests, so scanning it again may bring new information to light. Newer vehicles are so complex when it comes to the electronics that monitor them, that there are several components that may lead to random electrical issues. One thing you should do is run your VIN and see what TSBs (technician service bulletins) are out for your vehicle. This will tell you every single issue the manufacture knows is wrong with the vehicle, and as long as those parts are original, they have to replace them for free. There are TSBs out for your model and year, and some will effect electrical systems. For a second opinion and inspection, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.