Q: Difficulty starting my vehicle for a couple weeks until it would not start at all.

In July I brought my vehicle for a tire replacement and got an oil change at the same time. The next time I drove my vehicle, after my first stop, the vehicle would not start. Over the next two weeks, I had progressively more difficulty starting my vehicle and eventually required a boost every time it sat for more than a few minutes. I returned to the original shop and asked if they could have done something or knocked something loose because their paperwork indicated that my battery tested fine. They performed another check and said my battery needed to be replaced. I replaced the battery. At the beginning of October, I started having difficulty starting my vehicle...again. It took three to five attempts to start my vehicle, but I never required a boost. Tonight, I drove about two minutes prior to my first stop, then could not restart my vehicle. The lights and power windows worked. Attempt to boost did not work. Does this sound like I need a starter? How much will that cost me!

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. I believe you...

Hello, thanks for writing in. I believe you are saying that there is a problem with the car cranking; both before and after replacing the battery. And, that applying a booster power source did not improve the ability of the starter to turn over the engine. Other electrical components (lights and power windows) work just fine.

It is possible that the ignition switch is failing to connect power to the starter when you are turning the ignition switch to "Start". It is also possible that there is a very poor power connection to the starter (battery cable connection, etc.). Although challenging, it would be helpful to know what voltage is being supplied to the starter when the ignition switch is turned to the "Start" position.

I would recommend having the car’s staring issue inspected by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.