Q: I have a 1995 Lexus LS400. Yesterday, the speedometer stopped working and the engine was sputtering.

asked by on July 06, 2017

We had some minor repairs on the Lexus. New rear brake pads, new hose for power steering. When we received the car back, the speedometer was not working and it would not accelerate. The engine sputtered. Check Engine light came on and stayed on.

This may be caused by a faulty transmission speed sensor. The speed sensor reads the rotational speed of the reluctor wheel, located within the transmission. The speed sensor also controls the anti-lock braking system. Driving with a bad speed sensor usually causes the ABS to malfunction and can lead to loss of braking power and/or an accident. When this is not working properly, you may also notice the transmission hesitating to shift gears, erratic tachometer readings, the speedometer not working properly or the odometer not working properly. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.