Q: How do I read the event data recorder (EDR) information?

How do I read the event data recorder (EDR) information?

The event data recorder (EDR) system is a key safety feature in your car. The EDR collects information from your vehicle when an accident occurs. Among other things, the EDR tracks how fast you were driving at the time of impact, what pedals were being deployed, and whether or not the seat belts were fastened. This data is valuable in determining the cause of an accident.

EDR data can only be accessed with special equipment. Law enforcement and your dealership should both have this equipment, so if there is pertinent data that you require following an accident, ask one of these parties.