Q: Brake exhaust doesn't shut off when I press on the accelerator.

When pulling a trailer and I use the jake brake it works to slow the truck down but when I start to accelerate again the jake brake won't shut off and I have no power. Is this a waste gate problem?

Hello and thanks for your question. When you press the accelerator to deactivate the jake brake system, the electronic throttle sends a signal to the computer to shut off the power to the jake brakes for acceleration.

The switch inside the pedal seems to be not working. Try removing the harness from the pedal and cleaning the contacts with electrical cleaner and then reinstall the harness. Recheck to see if the jake brake will disengage. If it still does not disengage, then the signal from the pedal to the computer has not been interrupted. I recommend replacing the throttle pedal in your vehicle.

If you replace the pedal and the jake brake is still not engaging, then flip the main switch as you step on the accelerator. If the jake brake shuts off, then the pedal or harness to the pedal is faulty. If the jake brake does not shut off, then the switch is faulty or there is a short in the system causing the jake brake to stay engaged. I recommend having a professional from YourMechanic inspect the brake system to pinpoint the problem and guide with repairs.

3. Brake exhaust doesn't shut off when I press on the accelerator.