Q: I have 2014 chevy captiva I have a reduced engine light on and a engine stabitrim light on any way for me to reset by myself?

asked by on December 27, 2017

I have a stabiltrik light on and a reduced engine power light on. Any way for me to reset it my self ? Or do I need service?

Reduced Power light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Although you can use a scan tool to erase trouble codes, and the warning lights will turn off, if there is an underlying fault the codes and the light will immediately return. The issue you are writing in about is common enough that a specific diagnostic, namely a reduced engine power diagnostic is performed by technicians dispatched by YourMechanic. In your circumstance, the vehicle’s powertrain control module (PCM) has undoubtedly stored one or more diagnostic trouble codes that will identify the "general area" in which the fault lies in the engine management controls. Although the throttle control system is a common trouble area with reduced power, there are quite a few other components and systems that could come into play and, of course, there is always the possibility of multiple, or "coincident", faults. Here are some of the possibilities that YourMechanic dispatched technicians would consider:

Defective throttle position (TP) sensor
Defective oxygen sensor
Defective accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor
Loose or damaged wiring
Defective throttle body
Defective powertrain control module (PCM) (not typical; ONLY if a long, long list of other possibilities is ruled out)
Any fault/error that will affect drivability function
Any fault/error that will affect vehicle performance
A fault/error in the emissions system
A fault/error in the throttle control system
A fault/error in the transmission control system

If you request the recommended reduced power diagnostic the mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.