Q: Windshield wipers not moving.

asked by on March 01, 2016

The windshield wipers are not working. I can hear the motor, but the wipers do not move. When they do move, they go back to their normal position and make a loud clacking noise. I think the problem might lie in the wiper blade linkage.

The wipers on your vehicle are powered by a multi-speed motor that is controlled by the wiper switch and a relay module. A set of gears, crank arm, and linkage attach the motor to the wipers. If you hear the motor running and the wipers barely move, the problem is likely in the linkage. A professional will be able to remove the cowl and underhood seals to determine the exact cause. I suggest you have a certified technician inspect your wipers to pinpoint the cause of your problem.