Q: I filled my car up with gas, drove about a block to get a newspaper, put it in park and it died before i ever got out of the car .

I filled my car up with gas then drove maybe a block to get a newspaper. The car died when i put it in park. A man looked at it and told me it was the fuel pump. I changed the pump, but it still wont start. I have changed the O2 sensor, crank and cam senors. I have also put new plugs in it last year. I practically put a whole new top half of motor in it. It will crank but will not start. I still owe on the car and i'm getting very upset cause its broke down more than I can drive it. Can you please help me? Why will my car not start?

With a car that cranks but won’t start, there are a few things that need to be checked. But before I explain them, there is a common thing that happens with Nissan’s. Every once in awhile they will flood the cylinders with fuel and wash the oil film off the cylinder walls and rings. This will reduce compression enough that the car will not start. Fortunately, there is an easy fix for this problem. It is what is known as clear flooding.

Hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor while cranking the motor. It won’t start immediately and when it does it will not run very well at first. Feather the throttle to keep it running until the motor clears out the excess fuel and the motor begins to run smoothly. If after cranking the motor with the gas pedal held to the floor for at least

This may be related to many different possibilities, some of which may be related to a lack of spark and some of which may be related to a fuel delivery problem or a combination of both. For example, if the ignition coils, crankshaft position sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires or ignition module are faulty, this may cause the motor to not produce the spark needed to ignite the fuel in the motor.

In the case of a fuel delivery problem, this may be related to low fuel pressure, faulty or dirty fuel injectors, a faulty or dirty idle air control valve (this relays information about air intake to the computer which makes fuel adjustments), or potentially a faulty fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump. Fuel delivery problems will typically not allow the proper amount of fuel to be delivered to the cylinders which results in a lean fuel condition which can cause backfiring or simply cause the motor not to start as a result of fuel starvation. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your no start problem.

3. I filled my car up with gas, drove about a block to get a newspaper, put it in park and it died before i ever got out of the car .