Q: I am looking at a 2000 Subaru Forester for sale that needs "the timing belt repaired". Advice?

I am looking at a 2000 Subaru Forester for sale that needs "the timing belt repaired". It runs and the owner says it is a dependable. After seeing the quotes for a timing belt replacement I definitely can not afford to pay that much. What signs can I look for to tell whether this issue can actually be repaired or if a replacement will be required? Does it get progressively worse if it is not addressed or will it ultimately result in being replaced regardless of the measures taken now? The price is right if I'm not looking at a $800+ job just to keep it running! Any additional information would be appreciated to make the right decision. Thanks!

3. I am looking at a 2000 Subaru Forester for sale that needs "the timing belt repaired". Advice?