Q: How to fix my loud noises

When my 2008 Jeep Patriot is idling it makes a loud screeching noise also it's just super loud in general when I took it to the shop they told me my alternater was dirty and rusted and there was something knocking around in there so they said I should fix it I don't know if that's the problem or what's makeing it loud and how to fix bc I'm going on a trip soon ?

Hello, thank you for writing in. Most squealing noises related to engine speed pertain to issues with the drive belt. One easy test is to push on the drive belt and see if it is loose. It should not move very much when you apply pressure to it while off. If it gives way, you will need a new auto tensioner. An old dirty alternator would also cause these symptoms. As would any dirty drive belt pulley on the engine. There are several components with these pulleys, and you should check into them all if necessary. If you loose or break a drive belt while driving the vehicle will stall and leave you stranded. Make sure to have this addressed before you leave on your trip. For help resolving the issue, contact our service department.

3. How to fix my loud noises