Q: The car starts, but when I hit the gas the check engine light blinks & it feels like I don't get much power, sometimes smell gas.

My car starts just fine, but when I go to hit the gas the check engine light blinks & I sometimes smell gas. The car kind of shakes too when idling. I don't know if its safe to drive it to a mechanic. Also when I go to drive it feels like I don't get much power.

A: A flashing Check Engine Light is an indic...

Hello.

A flashing Check Engine Light is an indicator that the computer has detected an issue with the vehicle's engine management system that could potentially cause harm to the emissions system.

Continuing to drive with a flashing Check Engine Light puts emissions components, such as the catalytic converters at risk of damage. The symptoms you are experiencing can be caused by a wide variety of issues, with the fuel, ignition, or engine management systems.

As the possibilities could be many, consider getting some help from YourMechanic. One of our mobile technicians can start by diagnosing the stored trouble codes, as they will likely reveal some insight on what the issues may be.