Q: How to find out why the engine light is on without a scan tool

My dad has a 2005 Chevy Avalanche LTZ71. The engine light keeps staying on. Is there any way to find out why without fixing with a scan tool.

Not really. You will need to have the codes scanned on the engine’s computer unless you are experiencing some really overt and obvious symptoms. If you want a mechanic to fix it, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your house or office to diagnose your Check Engine Light for you.

There are a lot of ways to read them these days. Lots of people have the equipment, it just doesn’t cost much. However, the code doesn’t tell you the whole story. Additional diagnosis needs to be conducted to isolate the culprit and make whatever repairs are appropriate.