Q: How often should you flush fluids (power steering, coolant, transmission)...shop says every 2 years? 2007 Honda Odyssey

asked by on February 01, 2017

I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey van with 76,000 miles. 2 years ago I had all the fluids flushed and paid $400. Just had my oil changed and the shop told me to flush all my fluids again. They said you have to do it every 2-3 years. That seems excessive to me. Are you supposed to flush all fluids every 2-3 years?

Hi there - in general, YES, most industry experts recommend changing engine coolant, power steering fluid and brake fluid on 2 year intervals. Changing transmission fluid (and filter) can get into a "religious" discussion. Many vehicles today are delivered with "lifetime" transmission fluid, which their representatives will tell you generally means "life of the vehicle" - or 250K miles. While this is truly impressive, some technicians still believe changing your transmission and filter at 100K intervals (for automatic transmissions) is still a good idea if you intend to keep your vehicle beyond 125K miles or so. As they say, "your mileage will vary"!