Q: How often should you flush fluids (power steering, coolant, transmission)...shop says every 2 years? 2007 Honda Odyssey

I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey van with 76,000 miles. 2 years ago I had all the fluids flushed and paid $400. Just had my oil changed and the shop told me to flush all my fluids again. They said you have to do it every 2-3 years. That seems excessive to me. Are you supposed to flush all fluids every 2-3 years?

Hi there - in general, YES, most industry experts recommend changing engine coolant, power steering fluid and brake fluid on 2 year intervals. Changing transmission fluid (and filter) can get into a "religious" discussion. Many vehicles today are delivered with "lifetime" transmission fluid, which their representatives will tell you generally means "life of the vehicle" - or 250K miles. While this is truly impressive, some technicians still believe changing your transmission and filter at 100K intervals (for automatic transmissions) is still a good idea if you intend to keep your vehicle beyond 125K miles or so. As they say, "your mileage will vary"!

3. How often should you flush fluids (power steering, coolant, transmission)...shop says every 2 years? 2007 Honda Odyssey