Q: How much money should it cost to replace a drive belt

asked by on July 18, 2017

Squealing coming from belt area,steering wheel locked when I turned AC on, squealing stopped. Only squeals when I turn car on, then it stops. How much should it cost to have a mechanic do it?

You may have problems with the tensioner for the belt and not just the belt. Also the power steering should not stop when turning on the a/c. You should first have a mechanic inspect the belt and tensioner along with other systems involved to diagnose the problem first. I have seen bad tensioners not hold the belt tight enough and cause this problem many times. Have it checked then go from there.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr