Q: How much gas do I have when running on empty for my Acura?

asked by on October 18, 2016

How much gas do I have when running on empty but chart doesn't show an Acura

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. Your car has a 17.2 gallon fuel tank which is broken down to 15.2 gallons of use and 2 gallons reserve. After 15.2 gallons are used, the fuel gauge should read E for empty. The reserve is not intended to keep driving, however, it is used to keep the pump from plugging up from the sludge in the bottom of the fuel tank and prevent the fuel pump from burning up with no fuel to lubricate it. I recommend that when the fuel tank reaches 1/4 tank to fuel it back up. When the fuel gets lower than 1/4 tank, the fuel tends to return hot from the engine and does not burn as well. Unfortunately, we don’t have the exact data for when the E light comes on, but you can multiply the miles per gallon (MPG) times the number of gallons left in the tank to estimate how many miles you have left when the E light comes on.