Q: how much damage to engine after driving after serpentine belt broke?

I was driving on highway 65mph and lost AC then power steering. My battery light came on and I got off road. I let it sit like 45 min then drive right to dealer but more lights came on as I was driving. Today dealer called and said my serpentine belt went and asked how far I drove (8 miles) and said I damaged my engine so they have to open it all up to see how badly it may be damaged. How much $$ could this be? I just had my 60,000 mile service at about 64,000 miles and no one said anything about any wear and tear on the belt.

Hi there. I’ll be transparent with you, there is no way for me to determine the extent of the damage or what it may cost without performing an inspection on the vehicle. During the last service were you provided with an inspection report? Did the belt make any noise prior to the service? Did a belt driven component fail and cause the belt failure? Did the engine overheat on the way to the dealership? There are many other unknowns that could be at fault and can happen anytime without warning. The best advice I can give you is to have the dealer show you why the engine needs to be disassembled. Then have them provide estimates for all of your options then shop around; remember that if they perform a diagnosis you will still be responsible for that charge. Weigh the costs of what they offer; engine rebuild vs. engine replacement. And remember, you have the option to get a second opinion. Your Mechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with many of your needed services, diagnostics, and repairs 7 days a week at www.yourmechanic.com. Unfortunately, Your Mechanic does not offer engine repair/replacement services at this time.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr