Q: How do I open the hood?

How do I open the hood?

A: While your car should be professionally mai...

While your car should be professionally maintained, you do need to keep an eye on things on your own. Being able to open the hood is essential to that. It’s not difficult – here’s how to do it:

1. Make sure the parking brake is on, and the car is in park.

2. Turn the engine off.

3. Locate the hood release latch on the driver side, at the bottom of the dash.

4. Pull the release latch. The hood should pop open slightly.

5. At the hood, lift the latch and raise the hood.

6. Raise the prop rod and insert it into the correct hole on the underside of the hood (it’s indicated by an arrow).

7. When you’re done checking under the hood, hold the hood and replace the prop rod.

8. Lower the hood to about two or three inches from closed.

9. Drop it.

10. Check to make sure the hood latched securely.