Q: When i start my car, the rpm meter goes up to the number 5 and doesn't go back down, what could the problem be?

When I start my car, the RPM meter goes up to the number 5 and does not come back down. Even when idle.

Hi Ariana. Thanks for contacting us today. Assuming that your engine is not winding up that high and it’s just the gauge that is doing this, it’s probably due to a damaged electrical relay or fuse that powers the tachometer (RPM meter). It is also possible that a speed sensor or other engine sensor is damaged as well. If the engine itself is revving incredibly high, then you have a stuck throttle or idle control valve; which should be immediately inspected and repaired. You might want to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location to complete an onsite inspection to determine why the tachometer is doing this and recommend or complete the right repairs.

3. When i start my car, the rpm meter goes up to the number 5 and doesn't go back down, what could the problem be?