Q: How do I know when a child is big enough to use a seat belt?

How do I know when a child is big enough to use a seat belt?

At some point a child outgrows the child seats, and is ready to sit in the car seats, and use a seat belt. Here are a few things that you should check to see if your child is ready to ride without a child seat: 1. When the child sits upright at the back of the seat, their knees should easily bend at the end of the seat. 2. The lap belt should run over the child’s thighs, and not across their stomach. 3. The shoulder belt should run over the child’s shoulder, and not over their neck or head. 4. The child should be able to stay relatively still throughout the entire drive. If the child does not fit all of these specifications, then they should remain in a child seat.