Q: Unplugged wires ECM DTC

I purchased a used 4WD truck with the only problems I thought were a dead battery and no air conditioning. My short test drive proved nothing was wrong. So I bought a new battery for it and drove it home. Then the "service engine soon" light came on and the speedometer quit working. Then I saw that the ABS wires were all unplugged for the ECBM. I plugged them in and the ABS warning lights came on and stayed on. I put in a new vehicle speed sensor and engine control module. It didn’t do much good, except the new ECM described a list of DTC codes having to do with the ABS. There is no speed sensor input on either front wheel, erratic rear speed sensor, pump relay out/open, brake switch DTC, etc. I need some advice because this truck is a mess of wires upon further investigation, and it’s above my skill level. I have unplugged plugs up the ying yang under the lower dash beneath the steering wheel and a couple over the AC evaporator. I don’t have whole lot of money either. But do you recommend I take it to a dealer or small repair shop to be fixed?

A: Hello. It is a common issue for the ABS con...

Hello. It is a common issue for the ABS control module to go bad on these trucks. Either the modules are ridiculously expensive or they just aren’t available anymore. That is why the connector was unplugged. That is the "cheap" fix. The speedometer issue could very well be the actual cluster itself.

Either that or there is a wiring issue between the sensor and the instrument cluster. Sometimes a new ECM will need to be programmed for everything to work properly. I would focus on getting the speedometer working. For more help tracking down the problem, a certified professional from YourMechanic can inspect the electrical system in your car to let you know what needs repair.