Q: How do I know if the timing belt has been replaced?

I just bought this car. It runs great. No ticking sound in the engine. I checked its car fax and there is no indication that the belt had been changed. If it was changed at a non-Honda mechanic (independent), then it might not show up on the report. Is there a way of checking to see if it has been replaced?

You are correct in that the car fax may not necessarily always indicate every service performed as not all shops report the services they perform. Unfortunately, there is no definitive way to tell for sure whether or not the timing belt has been recently changed or not.

I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to take a look at your car to inspect the condition of the timing belt more closely to determine if there are any signs of excessive wear or other potential issues to note.