Q: Coolant leak around water pump

There is a slow, steady drip of coolant from the area around the water pump.

A: Hi. This is a sign that the seals in the wa...

Hi. This is a sign that the seals in the water pump are beginning the fail. Behind the pulley, there should be a small hole for the coolant to leak out of. Without the hole, coolant could seep into the bearings and cause them to start failing which would cause more issues. As long as the leak is slow you can drive the car, but this should be taken care of as soon as possible as the leak will continue to get worse until the seal fails completely. Driving low on coolant increases the chances of overheating which can cause significant damage to the engine. A certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, would be able to replace the water pump for you.