Q: How Do I Know If My Brake Fluid Is Low?

How do I know if my brake fluid is low?

The reservoir that holds brake fluid is under the hood and typically directly in front of the driver. The brake fluid reservoir is usually made out of semi-transparent plastic allowing the brake fluid level to be checked without opening the top.

The reservoir has markings showing the “Max” and “Min” levels allowable. The fluid level should always be between these levels.

Nearly all vehicles also use a sensor system that will warn the driver if the level gets low. Look for a red light on the instrument panel to illuminate. The Low Brake Fluid warning light on many vehicles is the same red warning light that comes on if you forget to release the parking brake. Other vehicles use a dedicated warning lamp for each condition.

It is unsafe to operate a vehicle with low brake fluid level. If it is found to be low, or the warning light is on, it is very important that the cause is determined before driving. It may be due to normal brake lining wear indicating that the brake pads need to be replaced. Low fluid level can also be due to a leak in the brake hydraulic system which can cause the brakes to fail.

Low brake fluid level indicates that a brake inspection is required. An inspection of your brake system is one of the many services that can be performed for you by a certified mechanic from YourMechanic.