Q: How do I jump start the battery in a 2012 Nissan Altima?

How do I jump start the battery?

A dead battery is one of the worst nightmares for drivers. You turn the key (or press the start button in this case) and nothing happens. You’ll need to jump the battery off to get back on the road. Here’s how to do it in your car:

1. Set the parking brake and make sure the car is in park.

2. Open the hood.

3. If your battery has vent covers, remove them (most don’t, but some do).

4. Connect the positive cable to the positive terminal on your battery.

5. Connect the positive cable to the positive terminal on the other battery.

6. Connect the negative cable to the negative terminal on the other battery.

7. Connect the negative cable to one of the nuts on the driver front strut mount of your car.

8. Start the engine on the other car.

9. Make sure the engine of the other car is running at about 2,000 RPM

10. Crank your engine.

11. Disconnect the jumper cables carefully beginning with the negative cable and then

the positive cable.

1. Don’t forget to replace the vent covers on your battery (if it has them).

Tip

Never try to push start your car, even if it has a manual transmission.