Q: How do I get the best fuel economy out of a car?

How do I get the best fuel economy out of a car?

While your Accord is designed to provide very good fuel economy, it’s important that you’re able to keep it that way. A number of things can help ensure that you get the best possible fuel economy from the engine. Follow these quick Tips

1. Regular Maintenance: Make sure you’re maintaining your engine properly by servicing it regularly. This includes oil changes, air filter changes, tire rotations and more.

2. Oil: Make sure you’re using the right type of engine oil (0W-20).

3. Tires: Make sure your tires are properly inflated (check the placard on the driver side door frame for the correct pressure).

4. Weight: Make sure you’re not overloading your car – too much weight can reduce fuel economy.

5. Cleaning: Keeping your car clean by eliminating mud or snow buildup on the undercarriage will also help improve fuel economy.

6. Drive Correctly: Your driving habits have the largest impact on fuel economy:

• Avoid hard acceleration.

• Stay at the speed limit to reduce drag (wind drag can reduce fuel economy).

• Shift up as soon as possible if you have a stick shift.

• Avoid idling whenever possible.

• Consider rolling down the windows at speeds under 55 MPH rather than using the air conditioner.