Q: How do I check the engine oil?

How do I check the engine oil?

Checking the engine oil is something that you should do with regularity, and always before you start a long drive. Here’s how you can check the oil.

1. Turn off the vehicle and let it sit for at least 10 minutes. This gives the engine time to cool off, which gives a more accurate oil reading.

2. Pop the hood, and prop it open with the hood prop.

3. Locate the dipstick, which has a yellow circular handle.

4. Pull out the dipstick and wipe it off on a soft cloth or paper towel. Return the dipstick to its original position.

5. Pull out the dipstick a second time, and see where the oil level is. If the oil level is below the cross-hatched area on your dipstick, then your oil levels are low, and you should add more oil.

3. How do I check the engine oil?