Q: How Do High-Performance Ignition Systems Differ from Standard Ones?

How do high-performance ignition systems differ from standard ones?

There are many variations of ignition systems in today’s automotive market and a lot of them put out over 20,000 volts. These are the most standard ignition systems used in most engines. There are many differences in the amount of voltage outputs from the coils to the spark plugs depending on the manufacturer of the vehicle you are driving. But you have to understand how a coil works in order to make an educated decision on what you want to do.

There are also a lot of different ignition upgrades you can do for better performance for your vehicle. If your vehicle is towing or hauling anything that it wasn’t when it was purchased or if you just feel the need for speed. There are different stages of upgrades depending on what you are looking to do. Spark output will vary from minimum of 25,000 volts all the way to over 100,000 volts.

Many manufacturers of high performance ignition coils make them for performance applications that are strictly for track use. these ignition coils can exceed over 90,000 volts and are not made to be installed in a regular vehicle that does not have engine performance modifications such as compression ratios, cam degrees, valve arrangements, and hotter burning spark plugs. Basically, if you have a vehicle that has not been modified for performance, then a high performance ignition system is not for you. There are two major companies that make performance ignition systems for today’s vehicles they are MSD ignitions and ACELL ignitions from Holley. If you need any service done for your ignition system, a certified mechanic can assist you with making any replacements for your ignition coil or spark plugs.

3. How Do High-Performance Ignition Systems Differ from Standard Ones?