Q: Recommendation about welding truck floor pans

I'm trying to weld new floor pans in my truck. What kind of welder would you recommend for welding floor pans?

It used to be very expensive to get a really good welding machine. I use one of these Mig welders that use an inert gas. I bought a decent one for about 400 dollars. They are really good for welding that kind of stuff. It’s fast and you really can past through it quickly. It does an excellent job.

Now, if you are that type of person who is not going to do much welding, get Harbor Freight tools. They sell Mig welder that doesn’t have a gas tank, but has a shielded wire that creates its own gas.

Years ago, I bought one of their cheaper versions of that Mig welder and I paid 99 bucks as it was on sale and actually does work. But if you are going to do floor pans, you don’t need anything really strong. Those stick welders are really good for doing thick metal. But that’s pretty thin and if you use a stick welder, as you can burn through it and it might not work well.

Get a Mig welder and get a good one with gas if you don’t mind spending the money. But if you aren’t going to use it that much, get one of those Mig welders that have a shielded gas tank. Sometimes you can get one for as little as 99 dollars and brand new. You can also look on Craigslist - maybe someone has got a good used one for sale.