Q: Horn independently honks; fuse disengaged

My horn will independently just start honking. At first, the problem was intermittent, but now it has progressed into a continual problem. It happens whether I am driving or stationary. So, we had to disengage the fuse for the horn. I haven’t taken it to an auto repair shop and I’m wondering if this is something that I can fix myself. What should I do to fix this?

A: Hello. We will be happy to assist you. I be...

Hello. We will be happy to assist you. I believe a faulty horn switch or horn relay to be the problem. Your horn is likely original. Inside of the horn, the horn contact switches expand and contract due to temperature changes and the horn switch may develop shorts which cause the horn to sound randomly.

A faulty relay can be subject to the same expanding and contracting circumstances. A technician could check your relay with the relay tester. One way to check a relay without a relay tester is to try to switch one relay of the same size with another and see if the horn condition changes. The horn switch itself could be tested with a multimeter.

If you don’t have access to the tools to test relay and the horn switch please keep in mind YourMechanic dispatches technicians which perform these test.