Q: 2011 Nissan will not crank and the battery goes dead after one year.

I bought a brand new 5. year warranted battery, after 1yr. the battery was completely dead, had machine to check alternator, starter etc, they were fine. Replaced the battery, for last 6 months car sporadically cranks or not, if jumped it cranks, the little brake light comes on plus little key flashes, sometimes placing the remote to the key symbol flashing it may crank, most times not, took it to the shop & was told battery was no good & causing a miss-program of the EC, which had to be reprogrammed & my battery was replaced by one of Nissan Dealer's batteries, would my battery cause this? I've had problems with the push button ignition from day one, what's causing the non-cranking? I've had the car since 9/12.

Hi there. The battery is the remote key fob will only last about 8 years. Since it is now 2017, the battery is now 8 years old and could have lost its charge. The chip in the key tells the computer (ECM) to start the car. If the vehicle continues to eat away the battery in the key fob, then either a button is stuck on the key fob or there is a parasitic load (something that is on that is to be off) in the car causing the key fob to drain the power as the engine is running. If you need further assistance with your car not starting, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• 2011 Nissan will not crank and the battery goes dead after one year.