Q: High temperature and issue turning over

My car runs hot occasionally(always over 190F). Today, on the way back from a trip, the temperature reached almost 230F. What is the best way to diagnose the problem. Also, when the car starts for the first time, it starts fine. However, when the engine is hot or has just been shut off, the car takes a while to turn over and start. It is harder to start when the engine is hot. What could be the problem?

Hi, thanks for writing in. Running hot can cause a hard start issue until the vehicle has cooled for a while. While it has been a while, in the past I worked on that generation of Caprice police vehicles. A common cooling system - besides the basics of coolant flow, coolant condition and properly working thermostat - are the two cooling fan relays located in the fuse/relay box under hood on the passenger side firewall. They can short with age. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.