Q: High rpms, doesn't gain speed

while driving at about 40 MPH I realized the rpms were going up to 4 instead or the constant 2 it's normally at, I wasn't gaining any speed and the engine sounded as thought it wanted to go into another gear. I don't have see a check engine light, I even tried pulling over and turning the engine off a little but that didn't work. can someone please reply to me asap

Hi. The problem you are having is a good indication that the transmission is failing and needs to be replaced. When a cars rpm goes up and the car is not picking up speed, this usually means that there is a problem inside the transmission. The valve body, shift solenoids, and or clutches of the transmission probably had gone bad or are worn out to the point they are causing a transmission shifting issue.

There is also the possibility that transmission fluid is low or very dirty. Dirty or low transmission fluid will cause the transmission not shift during acceleration and could cause damage to the internal parts of the transmission. I suggest having a certified technician from YourMechanic come and inspect your transmission and advise on the appropriate repair.

3. High rpms, doesn't gain speed