Q: High idle, loss of power, overheating

My car has been idling high. While I'm driving, it seems to lose engine power and gets a bit overheated. However, the temperature gauge is showing normal operating temperature. I had the transmission fluid and coolant levels checked and they are at appropriate levels too. What should do to improve the way it runs?

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 1994 GMC K1500 Suburban. A dirty throttle body will cause the power loss and RPM fluctuations. Also, a thermostat opening slow could be the cause of your overheating concern. This should be checked to see if the thermostat gauge is returning readings that are inaccurate. If you want to have this looked at, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your vehicle’s loss of power and overheating.

3. High idle, loss of power, overheating