Q: Throttle position sensor adjustment

I dismantling throttle body, tps and idle valve for cleanning. After asmbly when i try my car notes upshift from 1to2 at 1500 rpm and from 2to3 befor 2000 rpm this not normal. I adjust tps at 0.46 at closed throttle. When i adjust tps at 0.65 volt the car upshift it's ok no problem.

A: Hi there. In many cases, the TPS sensor nee...

Hi there. In many cases, the TPS sensor needs to be calibrated correctly after rebuilding throttle body and cleaning idle control valve. It should have a voltage reading of 0.50 volts while the throttle is closed, key engaged but engine turned off.

You can accomplish this with a voltmeter set to DC or a scan tool that has this capacity. If you do this and the voltage isn’t set at 0.50, you’ll need to loosen the mounting bolts and rotate the unit until you achieve that desired level, similar to adjusting engine timing with a distributor.

This can be a complex and time consuming process, so you might want to contact one of our professional mechanics to service your throttle position sensor.