Q: High idle and poor gas on my 92 Chevy s10 4.3 . How can I fix this?

asked by on November 10, 2017

My Chevy S10 4.3 truck has the service engine soon light. I think because it's idling high and I'm constantly putting gas in it. I changed the cap and rotor. I'm thinking it's the throttle body gasket but before I poor anymore money in it. I need to find the problem. Please help. Shop says it's the ECM. I don't think it is though. It's something simple but what. Well I'm hoping it's simple. Please help

Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi Dominga. Thanks for submitting your question today. There could be several mechanical problems causing the high idle and excessive fuel consumption. Usually, it is something simple - like a loose vacuum line, dirty or damaged mass air flow sensor or a throttle body failure (gasket leak possible), that causes these symptoms. The problem is that you need to have this diagnosed correctly - and that can only be completed by a professional mechanic by physically inspecting the vehicle at your location.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr