Q: High-end vs. low-end headlights

What are your thoughts on car headlights? Are you really getting the quality form the high-end lights, opposed to the low-end headlights? A bit of thinking is needed if you are over-paying for a product.

A: Of course, you’ll want to do a price compar...

Of course, you’ll want to do a price comparison of the bulb you’re going to buy. If you go to the cheapest, discount auto parts stores, and buy the cheapest bulb, they will burn out faster. Those ones that were made in China can be bought at as low as three bucks a piece.

Being a mechanic, they don’t last very long. I would go to a place like AutoZone and buy the long-life ones, that say "LL". They are better made. That said, there are places that sell bulbs and some of them go for over 100 bucks. I wouldn’t spend that kind of money but I’d still buy a quality product. I wouldn’t buy the cheapest one out there. The cheaper headlights generally don’t hold up for very long. Their filaments are weak and the combination of the heat and electricity glowing can cause them to burn out in a week. If you want to have your headlights replaced, YourMechanic can supply quality bulbs and perform the installation for you.