Q: Hi. My car sounds like someone gurgling water when driving up a hill. What could be the cause? &cracking sound when turning wheels

Hi. My car sounds like someone gurgling water when driving up a hill. What could be the cause? &cracking sound when turning wheels, say when taking a 3 point turn

The "cracking" sound you mention when doing sharp, low-speed turns is likely a constant velocity joint on one or both of the front axles. These joint transfer power from the engine to the wheels. The joints are somewhat sensitive to transferring sudden power when the wheels are at a sharp angle (i.e. turning across an intersection for example). This can damage the CV joint.

If you’d like to get this fixed, I would recommend having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the noise created while turning to confirm the failed CV joint diagnosis, they will also be able to address the ’Gurgling" sound - get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs. YourMechanic.com can dispatch a mobile, professional mechanic to your location for this repair.

• Hi. My car sounds like someone gurgling water when driving up a hill. What could be the cause? &cracking sound when turning wheels