Q: Hesitation when shifting gear and clanking noise and lack of power during acceleration

Purchased car 4 or 5 mths ago took it in after it sat for a month because of the hesitation and clanking they said it was without fluid they put 5 liters of transmission oil 4 of motor oil changed a filter tightened a bolt and the car became drivable 2 days later car wouldn't start replaced the starter kept using car the more I use the car the louder it gets it drives fine sometimes sometimes not when it doesn't it can hardly pick up speed when it does finally pick up speed its fine I smell something burning check engine light and check engine oil soon lights come on and off 2 different mechanics worked on my car single mom on disability need help can i fix this

Hi there. It would appear there is a combination of problems happening with your vehicle. First, the transmission fluid and engine oil leak(s) need to be addressed. The fluid loss may account for the burning smell. The Check Engine Light on leads me to believe the ECM (engine control module)/computer has recognized the drivability (lack of power) concern.

Accessing the computer for codes may help direct the diagnoses. There are many possibilities for a lack of power, low fuel pressure, restricted exhaust, a faulty throttle position sensor, mass airflow sensor, etc.

Assuming, there is the change engine oil soon light, may be due to the light was not reset at the time of service. The noise you are hearing could be any number of things while driving. I recommend having your vehicle’s lack of power issue and other concerns diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. Hesitation when shifting gear and clanking noise and lack of power during acceleration