Q: How can someone tell if it's timing chain or something else that would cause the motor to freeze up? Thanks.

Motor frozen up could it be the timming chain and how can u tell

Remove the timing chain cover and see if the chain is intact. If the chain is broken, then either the chain can bind up on the crankshaft sprocket or the pistons can come in contact with the valves when they are not in time. If the timing chain is connected properly, then a rod or main bearing on the crankshaft may have seized up or rolled over causing the crankshaft to seize up. If the engine ran out of oil and was still running, all of the bearings and the piston rings will get very hot and melt to their parts that they attach to. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you if your timing chain is intact.

3. How can someone tell if it's timing chain or something else that would cause the motor to freeze up? Thanks.