Q: Bad sounding engine noise, something is loose

asked by on November 03, 2015

Whenever I have my 2007 Nissan Sentra in park, the engine makes a loose, rattling noise. I've had vehicles with knocking engines before and this was not a knock. It sounds like a motor mount or something attached to the engine rattling and sounds like the car is broken. It only has 36,000 miles, so I doubt it is in any danger mechanically, but the sound is annoying! Is this an urgent issue that needs attention?

The rattle is most likely coming from a faulty motor mount on the passenger side. The motor mount allows the engine to vibrate and hit metal to metal. Your vehicle should be put up on a lift while in park, and the rattle inspected. Replace the motor mount if needed. Check all other mounts as well and replace if needed.