Q: Heat blows warm not hot

The heat blows warm air but not hot. I assumed it was the heater core but after running the vehicle with the heat on I felt the inlet and outlet hoses to the heater core and both were hot. From my understanding this indicates that the heater core is functioning. I know my coolant system is in need of a flush but not sure if that is the only issue.

You may have a clogged heater core that may be prohibiting the outer linings of the heater core to get hot. As you know, the heater core is a series of tubes that the coolant runs through that generates the heat from the warm coolant after circulating through the motor. These tubes can occasionally develop a buildup on the inner walls such that when the heater core is "flushed" this buildup on the inner walls of the lines remains and still allows the coolant to flow through the heater core. It is important to note that when the heater core is "flushed" it is possible to get good flow through the heater core while the inside walls of the heater core remain caked with buildup. As a result, the buildup on the inner walls prevents the temperature from rising to its capability due to the insulating effect of this buildup on the inner walls which will prevent the necessary heat transfer to properly heat the inside of the car. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your heater core.

3. Heat blows warm not hot