Q: Having possible transmission problems on my car

My car has 95,000 miles on it. I've had the car for a year, and haven't had any issues with it until now. When driving, the car seems to hobble back and forth. It happens around 35-45 MPH. You can feel the car bobbing back and forth and can see the needle on the RPM gauge bob up and down. This seems to happen around 2000 RPMs. Lower speeds don't seem to be a problem, and once I hit 45+ MPH and shift, the issue goes away. I had a mechanic take a look at it yesterday, and he thinks that the transmission was in the early stages of going out. The transmission is automatic. What could be wrong?

You may have a problem with the torque converter not going into lock up properly. There are a couple of technical bulletins which say to replace the torque converter. There is also another bulletin that says to see if the vehicle has oil bath type air filters. If so, the mass airflow sensor may be contaminated if excessive oil has come through the filter. This can cause erratic engine and transmission issues. Cleaning the mass airflow sensor may not fix the problem and it may need replaced. Have the vehicle checked for these things by a qualified mechanic. A certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can provide these services at your home or office.