Q: Car does not start

Battery replaced, cleaned connectors. When trying to start: when you turn the key it does not turn the engine over. Although the clock numbers will dim when turning the key to attempt starting.After several attempts it will eventually work and start the car. The auto store ran their diagnostic and said the alternator and starter is ok.

This may potentially be related to a faulty starter relay. The starter relay directs power from the battery to the starter solenoid which then engages the starter when you turn the key. When this is not working properly, you may notice intermittent starting problems including no response when turning the key to start. Generally, when this does fail, it does so very randomly and usually without warning other than intermittent starting. The power from the battery will still power other accessories such as radio, horn, etc., but you may not have any power to the starter. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your starter relay.