Q: Have a 2008 Hyundai Sante Fe and it starts when the key is in position II instead of III and makes a click sound when turning off

asked by on June 29, 2017

When I go to turn on my car it turns on at position II instead of at position III and sometimes it will make a click or short grinding sound when that happens. When I go to turn the car off it makes a click or short grinding sound at each position when turning the car off. What could be the cause of this?

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a faulty ignition switch that may be causing the ignition to send power to the starter inadvertently rather than kill the power to the ignition like it is supposed to when turning it off. When you turn the key to the start position, the starter relay sends power to the starter which then engages the flywheel and turns the engine over. When the engine is running the flywheel is already spinning at a very fast pace. When the starter relay inadvertently directs power to the starter when the motor is running, this causes the starter gear to engage the flywheel which is already spinning at a very high RPM, thus producing a grinding type sound. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect the vehicle.